UGN Security
OK, maybe it's just me being slow here... But I realized today that the majority of exploits of any kind on Window's OS's are targeted for C$, which is normally the default location of the OS and system files. As an example (view the source code to see how it tries to work) and is also interesting enough, as it didnt work on my IE 6, and I have my OS on D.. smile Command Shell in IE 6
Posted By: Dartur Re: Ever think of having your OS on D$? - 03/05/02 12:39 PM
It gives you some security against lamer programs... although good programmers use $systemroot$ or other functions with the same effect.

eek
Didn't work for me and my OS is in the default C location.

Although on this machine I am using right now, I am running Win ME (yuck) and it may only work under Win2000/XP...
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Ever think of having your OS on D$? - 03/05/02 12:44 PM
on my server where the irc is hosted at moment its runnin windows 98se :x
Posted By: unreal Re: Ever think of having your OS on D$? - 03/07/02 06:24 AM
*smack* smile
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Ever think of having your OS on D$? - 03/07/02 01:26 PM
oh shut up, you try and gain admin frown i have 2 paranoid assed firewalls heh
Posted By: unreal Re: Ever think of having your OS on D$? - 03/07/02 05:08 PM
Well, having your OS on D: wouldn't matter at all. While you may not have anything worthwhile on the C$ share, you have everything on D$. Also, if one would exploit the ADMIN$ share, he/she'd be pointed at your D:\WINNT directory. Therefore, putting your OS in D: will do nothing but stop the intruder for about 30 seconds. smile
Eeek eek uhm.. yeah.. I think I'll go back to my "Luser" status now.. ->Blush<-
Posted By: OC12 Re: Ever think of having your OS on D$? - 03/16/02 07:48 PM
why not just write a script that deletes the shares and put it in your startup folder. that is what i did, works fine. the only thing i noticed is that it wont let you share other folders. or if you want, just take the check out of file sharing the that connection and you still should be able to see it on your home network.
Posted By: unreal Re: Ever think of having your OS on D$? - 03/17/02 07:10 PM
Yep, I do the same thing. Batch file in the startup folder gets rid of those pesky default shares. smile
© UGN Security Forum