UGN Security
Posted By: Shinobi No Screens - 08/12/03 02:20 AM
I just got through installing FreeBSD 5.1 on my 1gz crashbox.. After the install which went fine and messing around a I found that when going to Windows X, I would get the No screens found error. I ran the xf86config file and everything was configured correctly. I Looks on groups.google.com and I found most of the problems were due to video card drivers. They also said to specify a *.rpm file. But nothing about the Radeon 7500 that is in that box. Anyone else have any other suggestions on what might fix this so X will run? (Also the Screen flickers when trying to boot X, if that is of any significance)
Posted By: sinetific Re: No Screens - 08/12/03 03:10 AM
Your xf86config file isn't configured correctly. Use xf86cfg -textmode to configure it. Make sure your monitor H-sync and V-hold are correct, your using the right driver, ati, and that your resolution isnt too high. Doing Xconfigs on systems like these is hard to learn and can be a pain in the [censored] but after awhile you get used to it. Also if your using FreeBSD you can try to upgrade using ports to the latest driver.
Posted By: Shinobi Re: No Screens - 08/12/03 03:13 AM
Thanks sin appreciate it, any other ideas would be appreciated as well.
Posted By: sinetific Re: No Screens - 08/12/03 11:36 AM
Oh i forget about this one:
Check /var/log/XFree86.log then you can see exactly where it begins to fail when you start X. If its the driver that fails or the resolution you specified isn't valid or whatever. It will probably be where the (EE) starts.
© UGN Security Forum