UGN Security
Posted By: sinetific XFree86 - 10/01/02 12:19 AM
when I startx with slack my desktop is huge, it's about 4 times the size of my screen. I can drag the huge screen around to go down and be able to see part of my taskbar and along the bottom to see the other side of it, but I just want a normal sized desktop Ive looked through all the Xfconig man pages, through the .config files and all of that and i cant find what I need to edit. Anybody have any idea?
Posted By: Predator Re: XFree86 - 10/01/02 08:01 AM
With xf86config you can config Xfree smirk
But to change the resolution of your screen immedately use 'ctrl' + 'alt' + '+'
Posted By: sinetific Re: XFree86 - 10/01/02 03:53 PM
ah yes thank you predator, some one else told me that also. Is there anyway I can have it start everytime at a specified resolution?
Posted By: hKzKnight Re: XFree86 - 10/01/02 07:27 PM
Damn Xfree86 can get real bitchy, i find my self reinstalling it often (you can download them etc). Well make sure you have the right graphics setup and that your card is compatible ( i am sure it is). It should allow you to change the res in the "control panel/ config panel" of your Xwindows enviroment if not, try xsetup or setupx (damn I can't remember) something like that.. I'll have to look.
Posted By: ReverendNinjaSox Re: XFree86 - 10/03/02 05:43 PM
I believe, but am not sure, that Slackware comes with a program called xvidtune. Run that and that should allow you to configure the size of the display. I believe. Also, in the config file there are parameters in there that you can change.
In my /etc/X11/XF86Config, there are some lines toward the bottom. They start with
# The whatever server
Section "Screen"
Then find the correct driver / monitor that you are using. You'll see a subsection "Display" in there. Change the Modes line to something like this.
Modes "1024X768"
I believe the first number in the list is what it defaults to. Hope that remotely helps.
Posted By: Skull Re: XFree86 - 10/04/02 01:22 AM
I know that when i installed my Mandrake it asked me during the install. Otherwise I know that in mandrake its in the hardware section of the gnome configuration under Display, I'd look under such a place in your version. Personally i wouldn't spend to much time in gnome, i used to use that instead of the command prompt but have found my self moving more and more towards the shell because of the power that it possesses, and its remote ability to be accessed from any computer on he net.

Regards,

Skull
Posted By: ReverendNinjaSox Re: XFree86 - 10/04/02 12:58 PM
I generally prefer to run everything out of GUI mode. If I need to do anything useful other then browsing the Internet and looking at pertty (Intentionally misspelled) pictures, I just switch over to my command prompt. I'm also real keen on just alt tabbing between windows and being able to view multiple ones at the same time. Sure, alt+f1-6 is real neat and all, however, it's just a lot of a pain in the [censored] for me unless you really are masochistic or extremely direct to the point. X Displays are very handy. I'm rambling now and not making much of a point. I'm going to blame that on the fact that I'm very tired and it's too god damned early.
If'n you'd like to talk more about X Servers or the fun that ensues when using them, just lemme know.
© UGN Security Forum