UGN Security
Posted By: hKzKnight Emulate this - 08/25/02 03:29 PM
So, what kind of emulator do you use to run linus progs in Linux? vmware, win4lin, wine etc... Please give us the website, the name, why etc. I would love to hear what emulator you like to use. It will help me make a list to keep around (be checking at night, working). Thanx, rock on!
Posted By: mtlhd Re: Emulate this - 08/26/02 11:34 PM
Quote:
So, what kind of emulator do you use to run linus progs in Linux?
Don't you mean...run windows progs in linux??...lol
I mean, that's what emulators are for right? :p
Anyways, I've used wineX to play GTA3. It was nice, but eh..it's just not right. Dare I say, it's better under windows and rightfully so. Linux was never intended to be some kind of gaming OS. I've never tried the other emulators you mentioned, For several reasons, memory usage is increased and the software isn't free laugh and I really have no reason to run windows progs while using linux. Oh another thing, the official version of wineX is not free. But I found it some irc servers for free...hehe. But if you ask me, for the amount of stuff winex can do it's worth signing up and buying it.

The site can be found here... http://www.transgaming.com/
Posted By: sinetific Re: Emulate this - 08/27/02 12:54 AM
I like snes9x to play old super nintendo games, ahh super metroid, final fantasy(you can even get a transalted version of the 3rd which was only released in japanese), I used to use wine to emulate winamp so i could use the linux shoutcast server. But it was buggier than a swarm of locusts. Personally i would rather not emulate other OS's and just use the real thing.
Posted By: hKzKnight Re: Emulate this - 08/27/02 04:17 AM
Holy [censored] what was I typing... I think I was slightly drunk... Anway, yes I mean windows. Yet hell list an emulator, PS, nintendo, GBA blah blah. Where, when, how, why...
Posted By: psychogen Re: Emulate this - 08/29/02 02:01 PM
mtlhd:
Just a point, you said that Linux was not developed as a gaming platform and secondly that the games (u said software) is not free.

Well yes but many good apps for linux these days are not free either, staroffice for one, CDE (if u wish to run that) for two, and I can mention endless apps more, so I disagree with that completely.

Also the comment being Linux not being for gaming is not true, there is atleast 15 or 20 new titles that have been released in the last year that are also available for Linux and it was prooven 2 years ago that you can run 3D games on a Linux workstation with even better performance than on windows, why, because Linux can uses all of the processors potential and also allows all physical memory to be written to. Windows does not do that and therefore you always need better machines to run new games for windows.

Whereas youc can run Tribes 2, RTC Wolfenstein and so on on a Linux machine with only 400 mhz, on a win machine ur [censored] without 700mhz atleast with any of those games.

As for the original post, I do not use any win emulator atall, first cause I run FreeBSD without even a Desktop installed and secondly cause I can just as well reboot and use win2k.

Well thats my two pence!
Posted By: Asteos Re: Emulate this - 09/15/02 07:21 PM
I've been looking for a *free windows emulator for linux because I'm a poor [censored] with no job. Anyone know of one?
Posted By: Infinite Re: Emulate this - 09/15/02 10:21 PM
Wine.....?

http://www.winehq.com/

sum
Posted By: hKzKnight Re: Emulate this - 09/17/02 07:29 PM
Wine is ok, still not that stabile yet. As well not all works with it yet.
Posted By: Infinite Re: Emulate this - 09/17/02 09:15 PM
Quote:
Wine is ok, still not that stabile yet. As well not all works with it yet.
True, but name me one that does fit that criteria.

sum
Posted By: hKzKnight Re: Emulate this - 09/18/02 01:33 AM
win4lin might work, if your sys can run it.
Posted By: Asteos Re: Emulate this - 09/18/02 10:18 PM
win4lin costs
Posted By: hKzKnight Re: Emulate this - 09/19/02 12:02 AM
Oh yeah, sorry forgot about that. I got mine for free, at the expo I was out... Hmm well if you really need it, go for it. Otherwise stick to wine.
© UGN Security Forum