UGN Security
ok I'm trying to add a slave drive that was previously a slave drive in a freeBSD 4.5 box into my redhat 8.0 box without formatting. Not sure how to go about doing this.

when i try....
#mkdir /mnt/hdd2
mount /dev/hdla /mnt/hdd2

I get "mount: your must specify the filesystem type"

IF anybody can help me out with adding this slave drive without formatting that would be great.

thanks
Read the man files for mount, if I recall its just a trigger that tells your system what filetype the new drive is using. I don't have a linux box up right now (re organizing my office, so all of my systems are unplugged and sitting on an old desk).

Its rather easy but I don't really recall...
unfortunatly it's unable to recognize the file system type. I knew this was a problem but was hoping there would be away around it. I've read through redhat's web site and serached on google but couldn't find anything. I may just have to wait till linux can recognize each file system and be more compatible.
Actually it should be able to read the freebsd filesystem. Correct me I'm wrong but I think the FreeBSD filesystem uses UFS. IF that's the case then you'd just have to configure your Kernel to allow it to read from that type. It's not too hard. I've done it.
Oh, by the way. I just found this doing a search on Google Linux :

Click Here

It might be a little outdated but it should clue you in on how to use it, if nothing on there helps, then check this out:

Google Results
thank you smile
No problem. One more thing, if and when you're able to mount the slave drive make it readable only. I think it's still experimental to write to a UFS system under linux, bad things might occur if you write to it.:\
hmm well...if anybody cares i recompiled the redhat kernel so it worked with UFS then made the slave drive read only (because it wouldn't let me write). Copied all the stuff to my windows box then unmounted the drive and remounted it. It all works now. Thanks for the links smile
Glad to hear everything worked out ok. wink
© UGN Security Forum