UGN Security
Posted By: defy Kernel install - 06/11/04 06:27 PM
Hi,

i recently got an update of my current kernel and some patches.
I have Suse 9.1 Pro and the version 2.6.4-52 and now i have the packages

linux-2.6.5.tar.bz2
patch-2.6.5-bk2.bz2
patch-2.6.5-mm6.bz2
patch-2.6.6-rc1.bz2

Which ones should i install and 'cause i'm a newbie please give me and instructions about how i'm supposed to install them.
The other time i followed up a tutorial and i ended up making format to my disk... mad mad

Thanks a lot! smile smile smile
Posted By: sinetific Re: Kernel install - 06/11/04 11:35 PM
dont fix it if its not broken. What do those patches do? do you need them?
Posted By: defy Re: Kernel install - 06/12/04 02:32 AM
I don't know exactly what they do but i'm having some issues with Suse 9.1.

-Firstly, every 10sec i hear an annoying beep, i don't know why.
-I don't have sound through my USB Creative Audigy 2 NX sound card.
-While i am running the KDE and moving around, from time to time the pc freezes for half a second. Nothing else shows up. For example if i' am moving the mouse that specific time, then the mouse stops and then reappears where it should be if the freeze hadn't happened. I don't know why.

I hoped that installing some patches or the next kernel version, it might fix the things.

Thanks!
Posted By: sinetific Re: Kernel install - 06/13/04 01:13 AM
you need to analyze dmesg and see hardware misconfigurations.
dmesg | grep no
that usually works maybe try 'not'. Dont you have any intuition into possibilites of what could be beeping?

Recompile your kernel for usb audio support and probably the sound driver.

How old is your computer? How many Mhz? maybe your computer is really slow and you are trying to run too much on it. maybe switch to a minimalist window manager like fluxbox, blackbox or even something more efficeint like windowmaker instead of a big bulky systerm like kde.
Posted By: Predator Re: Kernel install - 06/13/04 05:34 PM
And another tip if you want to compile your kernel, leave your old one on your system for a while (so add 2 kernels to your bootloader so you can choose what kernel to boot) If you did something wrong, you still can boot the old one and try again. That will save you from a lot of pain reinstalling linux cause you [censored] your kernel up
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Kernel install - 06/13/04 06:49 PM
Why reinstall when you can use knoppix...
Posted By: defy Re: Kernel install - 06/16/04 06:29 AM
My pc is P4 2800MHz, that's why i don't think that there is the problem.

When i hear the beep, if i'm in console mode -not in console in KDE- the system writes that a message has been sent to root. All that messages are crap, nothing important. Why sending messages to root every 30 seconds? Together with this message i hear the beep. When i'm in KDE i only hear the beep, i don't see any messages.

I'll try to see what dmesg shows me and then recompile the kernel.

Use knoppix for what reason, to fix things up? I wasn't sure how so i formatted.

Thanks!
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Kernel install - 06/16/04 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Predator:
And another tip if you want to compile your kernel, leave your old one on your system for a while (so add 2 kernels to your bootloader so you can choose what kernel to boot) If you did something wrong, you still can boot the old one and try again. That will save you from a lot of pain reinstalling linux cause you [censored] your kernel up
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo:
Why reinstall when you can use knoppix...
Posted By: Predator Re: Kernel install - 06/17/04 03:19 PM
That is an option as well, but why should you fix something if you can avoid it?
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Kernel install - 06/17/04 04:04 PM
No; I was just sayin, if you [censored] up you can use knoppix to repair it instead of a re-install...
Posted By: Red Mage Re: Kernel install - 06/24/04 07:54 AM
Mmmmm.. Knoppix smile
Posted By: sinetific Re: Kernel install - 06/25/04 04:39 AM
What is so good about knoppix? Someone please tell me. I would much rather have a 'real' instalation than a 'live' distro or ramdisk installation.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Kernel install - 06/25/04 04:41 AM
We only use Knoppix in emergency situations... A Live distro is great when you've [censored] up your "Real" distro...

Hence:
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo:
No; I was just sayin, if you [censored] up you can use knoppix to repair it instead of a re-install...
© UGN Security Forum