Sorry, I haven't seen this, but you asked why the restore disks suck. They don't allow you to use them on any machines besides the one that it comes with, and if there are any hardware differences, it won't work either. My brother's machine had gotten fucked up, so we used the restore disk on it. I had put in a newer video card along the line though, and it said that the hardware configuration didn't match, so it wouldn't install. Fortunately I had saved the card, so I was able to revert to the original hardware config (taking out an extra drive and an Audigy card as well) and got it to install. That's just problematic. Also it installs everything as a huge bundle, so any extra bullshit that you don't want gets installed. Of course they've got deals with other big companies, so that's why, but I hate that. You also can't install stuff individually, which I can't stand. If some program is messing up, I want to just install that. With the restore disks, if one program gets screwed up, you have to go buy a copy or redo your whole system.

Another suggestion I have is after you do the burn in, install all the software, and download all the updates and fixes and everything. I really hate having to do that after buying a new system. Of course by the time it ships, there will be more (if it's Windows *snicker*) but you can reduce the number of updates required considerably. That's especially helpful for people on dial-up. I'd also recommend making something like a restore disk, using some kind of disk imaging program, to restore the system to its original state with all the software that came with it, along with the updates. As much as I said I hate restore disks, that's because that's all OEMs distribute. Make sure to include the original software disks and I'll buy from you forever