Okay, now for today's English lesson. I will put an end to Paragon's misconception about the function of a dictionary.

Quote:

A couple of the definitions there are defining how most people use the term, not defining what hacking actually is (and therefor what a hacker is).
A dictionary doesn't define common usage of a word, it defines standard usage of a word. When you say it doesn't define what hacking actually is, you mean it doesn't define what you consider hacking to actually be. The definitions for hacking in the dictionary are the standard usages of the word, the usages accepted to be correct. Just because they don't fit your idea of what a hacker is doesn't mean it's incorrect. It means your definition is nonstandard. Don't believe me? We'll take an example.

I've got a lot of friends that say something's gay to mean it's dumb. I say it quite often as well. If it's really not cool, it's gay. I know that it's not just my circle of friends, it's a very common use of the word. So, from Merriam Webster:
Quote:

1 a : happily excited : MERRY b : keenly alive and exuberant : having or inducing high spirits
2 a : BRIGHT, LIVELY b : brilliant in color
3 : given to social pleasures; also : LICENTIOUS
4 a : HOMOSEXUAL b : of, relating to, or used by homosexuals
Excited, merry, lively, licentious, and homosexual. Nowhere do you see stupid, not cool, reproached. Yet the latter set is a collection of very common uses of gay.

Basically when you say that a dictionary defines how most people use a word, you're wrong. It defines the correct usage, how most people SHOULD use a word. Unfortunately it doesn't fit your view of hacker, but you just have nonstandard usage. I know the point of this whole thread is not about how to use a dictionary. My point is that you can't say that people incorrectly use a word, because you have an alternate definition of it. I agree with you, for the most part, though it gets tiresome reading all that crap about what hackers really are. But everyone's gonna have a different viewpoint, and it may be unfair that you label yourself one thing and people have a different perception of it than you, but that's just how it is.