UGN Security Forums
My ProfileMember DirectoryLogin
Search our ForumsView our FAQView our Site Rules
View our CalendarView our Active TopicsGo to our Main Page

UGN Security Store

Network Sites UGN Security, The GoNix Initiative, Elite Web Gamers, Back of the Web, EveryDay Helper, VNC Web Design & Development
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Sponsored Links
Latest Postings
Latest Reviews
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#12152 - 04/22/05 10:47 AM Tighter Border Control in the US
busfault Offline

Loc: NY
US set to tighten border controls
Cars wait to cross into the US from Mexico
Only a fifth of Americans currently have passports
The United States will require its nationals to carry passports to return from Canada and Mexico by 2008, under new rules designed to improve security.

The regulations, to be finalised later this year, would also require Canadians entering the US to produce a passport.

Under the current systems, Canadians and US citizens can travel with a driving licence or birth certificate.

After the announcement, Canada said it might now require US visitors to use passports to enter the country.

"Our system has really always worked on the basis of reciprocity," Canadian Public Safety Minister Anne McLellan said.

"Therefore we will review our requirements for American citizens, and we're going to do that in collaboration with the United States."

The rules will also apply by 2006 to US nationals travelling to and from Bermuda and Panama.

Balance

The changes were recommended in intelligence legislation approved by Congress last year.

Critics say the regulations could harm trade and tourism.

Canada is the largest trading partner of the US, with more than $1bn (£530m) worth of goods crossing the border every day.

A spokesman for the Mexican Embassy in Washington told the Associated Press news agency that the regulations would have no impact on tourism or trade flow.

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Washington was striking the right balance between protecting its borders and not hindering commercial activity.

Only 20% of Americans are thought to have passports, and officials are planning to print millions more to cope with extra demand.

source

Sponsored Links

#12153 - 04/25/05 04:16 PM Re: Tighter Border Control in the US
Gremelin Offline

Community Owner

Loc: Portland, OR; USA
Quote:
Originally posted by busfault:
Only 20% of Americans are thought to have passports, and officials are planning to print millions more to cope with extra demand.
I don't have one... Mainly because on top of the huge fee to get one we have to supply our own photo that we must also pay for... If they where more affordale I'd have one (as I like to travel when possible, and it'd be yer another form of ID)... Looks like the next time that I want to go to Canada with the family I'll be dishing out like $800+ just in passport fees :/... Bastards stick it to you I swear...

Featured Member
Forum Stats
2152 Members
46 Forums
36259 Topics
71429 Posts

Max Online: 1567 @ 04/25/10 05:20 AM
Top Posters
UGN Security 29420
Gremelin 7193
§intå× 3255
SilentRage 1273
Ice 1146
pergesu 1136
Infinite 1041
jonconley 955
Girlie 908
unreal 860
Newest Members
cdefgh368568, HushHush, golqm, Tim050, Gecko666
2151 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 291 Guests and 363 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest News

Donate
  Get Firefox!
Get FireFox!