Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#1569 06/26/04 02:31 AM
weeve Offline OP
UGN Super Poster
OP Offline
UGN Super Poster
Why is it that we only have 8 ppl on our seti team, that the submission rate stinks. [censored] lol it's not that hard people:| to support UGN. lol, we need a seti thing on a main page? lol Ima do muh part right now.

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/download.html
Download

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_154581.html
click on join, and join the team;)

Pls to be supporting the finding of Extraterrestrial Intelligence with your beloved UGN. Even if it's right here on earth, below our noses.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"
#1570 06/26/04 02:42 AM
Oh, I didn't you know had a team :p

Those who say do not know.
Those who know do not say.
#1571 06/26/04 07:57 AM
Community Owner
Community Owner
'eh when i get time i'll work on a seti page; however due to lack there of and being [censored] swamped it's a little hard...

Donate to UGN Security here.
UGN Security, Back of the Web, and VNC Web Services Owner
#1572 06/26/04 09:57 AM
Ntd Offline
ok, lets use our brains for a second.
1. what are the chances of Extraterrestrial Intelligence like our own?
2. There is other life forms besides the ones that live on earth, however i doubt they are "intelligent" live forms they are more like single cell creatures.
So there is no point.

#1573 06/26/04 05:13 PM
Community Owner
Community Owner
Yes, lets use our brains for a second:
1. How many Galaxies are there? Not planets, just Galaxies... Logic would dictate that if there is life (intelligent or otherwise) on one planet, that it must exist somewhere in the vast void which is space.

2. See 1.

#1574 06/27/04 02:25 AM
Ntd Offline
Look at my number 2.

#1575 06/27/04 03:46 AM
P
UGN Elite Poster
UGN Elite Poster
P
I don't see any logic involved in your number 2. If you're gonna make an argument, make a real argument.

#1576 06/27/04 05:21 AM
Community Owner
Community Owner
Exactly. I think you're a complete idiot if you believe that "mankind" is the only "intelligent" life in the infinite void that is outer space... Whats to say there isn't anything there? What's to say that we're the "inteligent" being? Perhaps they even look at us as just bags of flesh who kill eachother...

#1577 06/27/04 05:34 AM
weeve Offline OP
UGN Super Poster
OP Offline
UGN Super Poster
NTD Saying that were the most intelligent thing in this universe is very very human like;P

We haven't explored 90% of our own oceans, or 90% of Antarctica for that fact, we squabble over juices from our planet to run our toxic, machinery to do repetitive mostly meaningless [censored]. We fight over definitions, and existence. We are not united, we are divided. That is getting worse. There may be a time that we unite for many reasons. But that is long from now. A bit or well after my own death.

I suggest you look at the history, past, and future of human kind. Esp the last 100 years. People are starting to care less, esp about even being intelligent, or right.

Real right, not right like winning a fight, but helping, knowing, teaching. Not debating, and bickering.

using our brains is easy, the percent of use, is determined by use, and mental/physical impact of the world on a child. Your gray matter stopped expanding, and having possibilities in this stage of evolution as a young kid.

the chances of Extraterrestrial Intelligence like our own, easy, above our own, rare by popular belief, but we analyze wrong, take all the mystic, unexplained weird [censored] in the world. Understand that our government, lies to us, sometimes outright, and they are way way over our heads in everything.

So trust me this, if there were 15-20 other races in the universe, and we were traveling space through one of many ways. You'd never know. Hell most ppl don't even know cern is testing mini evaporating black holes(dark matter). If GE makes further advances at quite a few things, we could start doing things, you would call alien I'd imagine.

The funny thing is, the we, and the doing is not us. Our people, humans, just like genetic engineering will probably get scary in our own life times. It will be our government, our top secret labs. Hidden, falsified things. Lots of this is confirmable if you spend the time, and dig deep. Much of America for example are pack rating, work horse, unhappy sheep.

These things that happen in our life today, and years to many years ago. Even long before us. Many for 10's of years are looked at as being normal, till ppl act intelligent, and don't theorize on humanity. Were to damn simple, and stupid acting for the most part.

doubting there are "intelligent" live forms, other then us, is pretty much saying [censored] NASA, [censored] space exploration, and [censored] some of that 90% of the ocean/Antarctica. Then [censored] science, math, and the human kind. Because were all wasting our time, if were going to rule out things based on our on eccentric, egotism, and trust me.

I'm eccentric:D single cell creatures, lol we started single cell, we had a burst of evolution from "something", a catalyst. We've been around 30,000 unless our carbon dating is wrong, in this form that is. Now take Jupiter's two moons for example. Europa being a main sight of this. Oceans under earth. Now look at earth, image half of the inside being water, or a layer being water, and one being ice. Saw there's life there like we have here. Say they haven't reached a technological level, or don't need/want to yet.

Heh, The same can be said for life beyond ours on mars, that may still be alive in a form, dormant. After all mars used to be like earth.

There is no point. If you just act like an animal, instincts are cool, but in solitary nature, you learn there are more things life, and more things to learning.

But ya know, this was all just on SETI. In my life, I'd love for human kind to have alien contact. It would...change everything, and me...I'd like that. I don't know about anyone else though.

#1578 06/29/04 11:08 AM
Ntd Offline
Ok in summary this is what i am saying.. If there is more intelligent life out there then they wont want to know us, like we care about worms or something like that or on the other hand If there is life out there that is less intelligent then whats the point of finding it, what use does it have? All i am saying is that there is low proballity that there is life out there thats like us. So whats the point?

#1579 06/29/04 04:44 PM
weeve Offline OP
UGN Super Poster
OP Offline
UGN Super Poster
everything mystical is based in fact, every fact is trailing with mysteries, and falsities to confuse. Even the truth has lines, and lies of falsehood. Nothing IS AS IT SEEMS. For all you know, aliens are among us, below us, above us. For all we know. All were trying to do here, is keep your mind open, not shut friend. That is what seti is doing too. I care about nature. I've cried from killing bugs, to mistakes on wild rodents/reptiles. I care, if I care, more care, if I care I'm not alone, if more care, then more somewhere then here if there are there, do CARE. We are not so different, or astranged of this universe, or the galaxy we live in. were just in a solar system friend. It's HUGE. Where are they? Multiverse? Another paralell earth? The Future? Evolved us...IS AN ALIEN. Esp if they are raised or born elsewhere then earth. Friend, definitions, and perception are what bind, confuse, and damn us. An open mind is key, the key to a gateway, a door of knowledge. less then intelligent, I take stargate for explain, if all you know, all we know is wrong, if we're not the only human kind on a planet, if there are brothers, and sister like us on other planets, at the same stage we are....I FOR ONE WANT TO KNOW. I'm sure I'm not alone on that. Hell if their amish, if their medieval, whatever! an alien is a alien. Even if your all startrek, 2080 watching other civilizations, and not interfering with them. Someday contact comes.

Yes scifi is "different" but a majority of it is based on science, mythology, lore, and history. Which for the most part are all rooted in fact. Use....friend...we are alone right know *gets serious* How many times, have you felt in that pit of your stomach, the hurt, pain, and discomfort of being alone? The change when your not? The rebirth, and life of unity? Love? Peace? Bi-polar existance?

low probability. well, chaos theory would denote your equally right, and wrong on infinite levels. I say you need to think about it with a background. science needs 90% assurances to call on probability. Cabon dating? Flawed. Us? Flawed. Math? Flawed. How many times has science been wrong? What about religion? What about the pagan religions thousands of years ago, being beaten into a majority world farce of almost one religion. Difference. a movie I just watched "silent running" was boring, but spoke on this. A world with no plant life? A world void of color, a world of work, gray, medium, blending. That is not utopia, reality, or life. imperfection is beautiful. NTD, many have ignored a majority of history, lied, or been lied to. If your going to be human, and base you anything on being who you are, a human being, and on history/world view/space/earth/science, you must take into account that a majority of things are repeated, revolved, whatever. Already done, and said. Reinventing the wheel. It's obvious people as a whole don't learn, or haven't. They have been lead, and mis-lead. I can answer, and say. but really this went far away from the topic of seti quick, and more so onto a 10,000 year old battle of knowledge. It all depends on what you want, what you need. If your honest, and you just want to deal with half the facts, half the possibilities, and be possibily right, all cool, go for it. But if you want to go any other way, then just open up, and take healing, take knowledge, and learning in, from all focal points, and begin to grow, inside, and out. As more then a human being.

The point my friend, is that if ther is life like us out there, it won't be as simple as flipping a light switch, or blasting a megaphone into space. You are who you choose to be, as the rest of existance is. The point is that, you have divine powers. Free will, is divine, it is power, and strength. All I have to say is use it wisely.

I for one, can't help but believe were VERY not alone, because I've seen, and done things in my life that defy pretty much 1000's of years of belief. *shrug* maybe someday someone will watch my memories, on some machine, and laugh at the possibilities. I hope you understand, and keep the peace. Good people, inately wonderous, and creative only want to co-exist. Sometimes more, but rarely. Life is short, live it well, and just.

#1580 06/29/04 09:45 PM
P
UGN Elite Poster
UGN Elite Poster
P
Quote:
Originally posted by NTD .:
Ok in summary this is what i am saying.. If there is more intelligent life out there then they wont want to know us, like we care about worms or something like that or on the other hand If there is life out there that is less intelligent then whats the point of finding it, what use does it have? All i am saying is that there is low proballity that there is life out there thats like us. So whats the point?
Where is this even coming from? How do you know they wouldn't want to know about us at all? Perhaps you don't care about worms, but they're used a lot in research. There are plenty of people who find the study of worms and other such life to be both fascinating and useful. You don't suppose that another form of intelligent life might have similar members, do you?

What are you basing your comment that there is a low probability of life like ours? The more research that is done, the more we find out that chimpanzees and dolphins are closer to us in intelligence than we ever thought. That's three different species of similar intelligence on the same planet. Perhaps it's not so low a probability as you think.

As for the point of it all, well perhaps to you there is none. Just like there's no point to climbing Mt. Everest, landing on the moon, or travelling to the Galapagos Islands. I'm not sure there was a rational reason for any of those adventures, but as humans, we have an intense curiosity and sense of adventure.

#1581 06/29/04 10:52 PM
weeve Offline OP
UGN Super Poster
OP Offline
UGN Super Poster
laugh OMG PERG you went into worm science:D woot. Amazing someone else has seen those specials/shows on the human genome/rna/dna, they air them rarely here. For real, they are studied for longer life, with gene manipulation they've had worms live twice the span of life, and at the same rate. meaning age like you do, and live to 200+. lol longer life...is definitely something ppl want. imagine ppl dieing in their 30's doing in their 60-90's with bad health looking the same they do now...now that has got to screw with some peoples minds, the sheer possibilities. But yes, endless research. Kind of like cern working with mini evaporating black holes. People all downing on time travel lol. Or dimension/universal travel. I for one believe a wormhole can be made by manipulating space time with an event horizon. GE is working on, and will most likely be funded by the military for a storage unit, for such evaporating mini black holes. Or so says data that's out there. Funny that all these things were predicted, and are damn sure happening. Just like contact, and alien bla bla bla were predict from 100's to 1000's of years ago, and ppl couldn't have less belief right now lol. kind sad huh?

#1582 06/30/04 03:50 AM
Ntd Offline
What is the point of going to Mt. Everest? Are you a scientist or interested in science? Then you would know of the countless experiments that are performed up there. http://classic.mountainzone.com/everest/science.stm

What is one use that has come out of worm research?

Quote:
What are you basing your comment that there is a low probability of life like ours?
Well lets see. For one humans have evolved over millions of centuries. They have evolved because of changing surroundings. To say that other life out there is like our own is to say that they have had the same evolutionary path as we did. Saying that there planet has a climate like our own and that there is liquefied H2O(l) on that planet. This according to current research equals a low probability.

#1583 06/30/04 04:43 AM
Community Owner
Community Owner
Who's to say they breathe oxygen? Who's to say they look like us? Hell who's to say that their phaise can even be seen by us? Ever see Star Trek? they go into almost any possiblity...

#1584 06/30/04 07:19 AM
Ntd Offline
I was answering the question
Quote:
What are you basing your comment that there is a low probability of life like ours?
however gizmo you rase a good point, who says that want to know us?

#1585 07/02/04 09:05 PM
Quote:
What is one use that has come out of worm research?
A quick search on google for "worm research" reveals this .

Quote:
Well lets see. For one humans have evolved over millions of centuries. They have evolved because of changing surroundings. To say that other life out there is like our own is to say that they have had the same evolutionary path as we did. Saying that there planet has a climate like our own and that there is liquefied H2O(l) on that planet. This according to current research equals a low probability.
Actually, although the chances of it happening on a single planet are fantastically low, the sheer amount of planets makes the chances for it not happening very low. To be fair, there's not much hope that there's other life anywhere near us..

Quote:
Hell who's to say that their phaise can even be seen by us? Ever see Star Trek?
Gizmo, Star Trek is sci-fi. It's not real... wink

#1586 07/02/04 11:29 PM
Community Owner
Community Owner
It's sci-fi however it's so popular due to the large amount of theory that goes into the show...

Look at the Egyptians, they believed in beings which lived in another phase of reality; it's outlined in the book of the dead (and yes, they where living beings, not "souls").

#1587 07/03/04 01:44 AM
I personally haven't seen anything realistic about 'out of phase' things, and there's alot of mythology out there. Just because the egyptians believed it doesn't mean it's true. Sounds interesting tho, I'll have to google it...

#1588 07/03/04 02:11 AM
Community Owner
Community Owner
A lot of things that people have said where true long ago that have been wrote off as myths have been proven to be factual... Some others have been wrote off as fiction...

No matter where you look you'll meet someone who believes in somthing other than you; some right some wrong; depends on who you ask. Just because something hasn't been proven factual yet, we shouldn't say no until we prove it's imposibilities...

#1589 07/03/04 06:17 PM
UGN Super Poster
UGN Super Poster
Ok I had to join again, because I didn't knew the e-mail adrress for the user I had before. Gizmo, you can remove "Digital-Geek" from the UGN Seti group.

#1590 07/04/04 07:02 AM
Community Owner
Community Owner
IF it had results leave it.... It'll add to the group's points...

#1591 07/04/04 09:11 PM

#1592 07/06/04 12:02 AM
C
C
Do i have to read all that?

#1593 07/06/04 12:16 AM
Community Owner
Community Owner
The Book of the Dead is actually pretty entertaining...

#1594 07/06/04 01:22 AM
The one about Osiris seems kinda familiar wink

Link Copied to Clipboard
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics33,840
Posts68,858