UGN Security Forums
My ProfileMember DirectoryLogin
Search our ForumsView our FAQView our Site Rules
View our CalendarView our Active TopicsGo to our Main Page

UGN Security Store

Network Sites UGN Security, The GoNix Initiative, Elite Web Gamers, Back of the Web, EveryDay Helper, VNC Web Design & Development
Sponsored Links
Latest Postings
Latest Reviews
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2207 - 10/05/05 07:07 AM Sun + Google = World Domination
CrackerMac Offline

Loc: 8' above weeve
So, what does everyone think about this one? I'm loving it because I think Google is a great company with very creative people. With Sun's expertise they are going to do some really cool stuff I think. Time will tell.

Sponsored Links

#2208 - 10/05/05 07:59 AM Re: Sun + Google = World Domination
Gremelin Offline

Community Owner

Loc: Portland, OR; USA
fir those of us who don't actively read the news (go fig, I own a tech news site but i hate reading), what're you talkin about?

#2209 - 10/05/05 08:45 AM Re: Sun + Google = World Domination
Ice Offline
UGN News Staff

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Google Inc. announced a plan to provide free, wireless high-speed internet access in San Francisco. The service would allow users to bypass fee-based connections of cable and local phone companies.
There ya go dude lol..

-Picasso

#2210 - 10/05/05 09:30 AM Re: Sun + Google = World Domination
IceMyst Offline
UGN Elite Poster

Loc: Where ever Gizmo is
and we all know what sintax thinks on that :p

Donate to the "Baby Trey's Digital Camera" fund here .

#2211 - 10/05/05 02:27 PM Re: Sun + Google = World Domination
KillHour Offline

Loc: Tonawanda, NY
If Google is going to take over the world, then sign me up. Google employees get more perks than foreign diplomats.

-UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

#2212 - 10/05/05 03:29 PM Re: Sun + Google = World Domination
§intå× Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by shadow516:
If Google is going to take over the world, then sign me up. Google employees get more perks than foreign diplomats.
The pigs in animal farm were so nice in the beguining of the book....

I am assuming this is not about free wifi but about this

Quote:
Originally posted by Girlie:
Google took a big step toward challenging Microsoft's dominance in computer word-processing and spreadsheets with the announcement Tuesday that it would distribute Java technology from Sun Microsystems.

The move will let Google create or offer programs that could take on Microsoft's industry-leading Office suite.

Under the deal, Google will distribute Java along with the search company's toolbar application, the two companies said.

The deal, whose terms were not disclosed, would make it easier for PC users to run applications based on the Java programming language. That includes the free productivity suite OpenOffice, a challenger to Office, a major cash cow for Microsoft.

"Working with Google will make our technologies more available more broadly, increase options for users, lower barriers and expand participation worldwide," said Scott McNealy, Sun's chief executive officer.

Eric Schmidt, Google's chief executive, said the deal opens up the possibility of additional collaboration between the companies.

Under the deal, Sun's Java Runtime Engine will be offered as an option to users who download the toolbar application that allows users to quickly run searches and find other information from Google.

The toolbar currently works only on computers running Microsoft Internet Explorer and the Firefox browser.

source

#2213 - 10/05/05 05:01 PM Re: Sun + Google = World Domination
CrackerMac Offline

Loc: 8' above weeve
Yea, I was referring to Google and Sun teaming up. Although, I think the free WiFi is great. Too bad I live 3000 miles away. Maybe they can use some extended range access points. haha.

#2214 - 10/05/05 06:03 PM Re: Sun + Google = World Domination
§intå× Offline

The boys and girls at google are creative I will give you that, I have been and in many ways am a fan of google. But They are weilding a lot of power now. They now have a lot of info, personal info. As they expand in ways I am starting to notice a pattern. There will be other Free WiFI citys in the near future. Google will eventualy go head to head with major telco's and ISP's

Picture a Microsoft + AOL TIme Warner + AT&T

This will be Google. Any company in history wich wields Masive amounts of power abuses it.

Examples include

Ma Bell before the break up
Standard Oil
Time Warner
AOL
Microsoft

I am not saying google is evil persay. I am saying just be mindful of the patern which has happened time and again.

#2215 - 10/05/05 10:17 PM Re: Sun + Google = World Domination
KillHour Offline

The problem with that comparison is that those companies rely on money gained directly from the public, and so don't mind screwing other companies over. Since google makes its money through ads, it has a symbiotic relationship with both companies and the public. Google will continue to provide free services, hoping to attract more users, while still maintaining fair business practices in order to keep getting money from other companies. IMHO, it's a win-win situation.

#2216 - 10/06/05 04:29 PM Re: Sun + Google = World Domination
§intå× Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by shadow516:
The problem with that comparison is that those companies rely on money gained directly from the public, and so don't mind screwing other companies over. Since google makes its money through ads, it has a symbiotic relationship with both companies and the public. Google will continue to provide free services, hoping to attract more users, while still maintaining fair business practices in order to keep getting money from other companies. IMHO, it's a win-win situation.
You would think. Remember Google is now a public company. They have stock holders to answer to. These stock holders do not like thier only source of revenue being ads. Google has been trying lately to find other streams of revenue due to investor pressure.

Thier getting into VOIP puts them right in the telco market. Once the stock was sold, many things changed.

#2217 - 10/06/05 09:16 PM Re: Sun + Google = World Domination
IceMyst Offline
UGN Elite Poster

Loc: Where ever Gizmo is
so then it's the stock holders that are inheritly evil

Donate to the "Baby Trey's Digital Camera" fund here .

#2218 - 10/06/05 11:03 PM Re: Sun + Google = World Domination
§intå× Offline

greed is a deadly sin. I will leave it like this. Name a company that got huge Re-wrote the laws of business and lead an industry that didn't become shadey.

#2219 - 10/06/05 11:06 PM Re: Sun + Google = World Domination
Infinite Offline

Loc: Canada eh
Quote:
Originally posted by IceMyst:
so then it's the stock holders that are inheritly evil
No, not the stockholders themselves. It's the entire system that is inherently wrong. Capitalism begets greed. Hell, the entire idea is based on a deadly sin. Too bad we really don't have a better alternative.

#2220 - 10/06/05 11:24 PM Re: Sun + Google = World Domination
KillHour Offline

I, for one, find it ironic that the people who are in support of anarchy, also hate free enterprise. If the government stepped in and took over everything, people would bitch about not having freedom. If the government leaves companies alone, the same people bitch about the companies having too much power. WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE WANT!?!?!?

#2221 - 10/06/05 11:39 PM Re: Sun + Google = World Domination
Infinite Offline

Loc: Canada eh
wtf did anarchy come from?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Infinite 
Featured Member
Forum Stats
2148 Members
46 Forums
35206 Topics
70376 Posts

Max Online: 1567 @ 04/25/10 05:20 AM
Top Posters
UGN Security 28368
Gremelin 7193
§intå× 3255
SilentRage 1273
Ice 1146
pergesu 1136
Infinite 1041
jonconley 955
Girlie 908
unreal 860
Newest Members
Tim050, Gecko666, defghi795767, Devo60, ali
2148 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 439 Guests and 333 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest News

Donate
  Get Firefox!
Get FireFox!