UGN Security Forums
My ProfileMember DirectoryLogin
Search our ForumsView our FAQView our Site Rules
View our CalendarView our Active TopicsGo to our Main Page

UGN Security Store

Network Sites UGN Security, The GoNix Initiative, Elite Web Gamers, Back of the Web, EveryDay Helper, VNC Web Design & Development
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Sponsored Links
Latest Postings
The History Thread...
by Gremelin
09/18/14 09:42 AM
Doom 3
by Cyrez
09/11/14 08:58 PM
Latest Reviews
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#28600 - 06/20/02 06:41 AM Re: How stuff WILL work
thebluegiant Offline

Heh, the lock-picking and pick-pocketing articles were interesting (I was tired, they were simple).

And I wasn't talking about time travel, but rather how it seems to slow down the faster you go. Ever read any science fiction books were people go in space-ships traveling near lightspeed and com back years later having aged very little? If we could actually go that fast, it'd be possible.

They tested this once by syncronyzing two clocks and puttting one of them on a jet that flew around for several hours. When it landed the clocks were compared -- the jet one was behind several seconds.

I believe they're planning on testing this on the space-station sometime soon.

Sponsored Links

#28601 - 06/20/02 07:17 AM Re: How stuff WILL work
bor Offline
UGN fag

Loc: Tampa, Florida
SilentRage is right. Look at these pictures as well. I'm pretty sure that this is what the pictures are of.

He's right dammit!

#28602 - 06/20/02 07:38 AM Re: How stuff WILL work
SilentRage Offline
DollarDNS Owner

Loc: OH, USA
heh, of course I'm right. Also keep in mind that this is a ground based laser. In order for the ship to fly, a laser must be shot from the ground into the air against the underside of the ship. It is the mirrors on the bottom of the ship that takes this laser light and focuses it to heat the air into a plasma and explosive state.

It also spins really fast to keep it going straight gyroscopically. That means it is only capable of vertical travel and only in the atmosphere - not space.

However, there is also a microwave based travel which actually DRAWS the ship TO its destination. That means the space station can have some kind of microwave transmitter that will draw these microwave vehicles from the surface of the planet up to the space station. If you're too lazy to go read it and are curious about a little more details as to how it works (like I explained with the laser based vehicles) then I'll do so. Why? Cause I forgot, and I'll be interested in reading it again if somebody cares.

#28603 - 06/20/02 07:45 AM Re: How stuff WILL work
Paragon Offline

Wow, that site's pretty sweet now that I look at it! Thanks!
Quote:
Dude think about it. Just how much information is stored in one tiny cell of our body? The entire genetic makeup that makes us - us. Our entire body can be rebuilt with the information in any one of our cells.

And that demonstrates just how much we can store with DNA.
I think quantum computers may actually be able to store way more information, eventually. If they really can access parallel universes then they could potentially have amazing computing AND storage capabilities.
Quote:
And they say our brain is only using a small fraction of it's potential. DNA computers can harness some of that. Read the article before debating what I say - like jtendra should've.
Actually that's a myth. We do use our brains, it's just that it is used by our subconscious. Our conscious minds are only able to use a small amount of the resources available, but that's because our subconscious needs it to do a lot of things that you don't think about. Like walking, reading and any other complex task you don't have to think about. It also has to sort through all that information that is provided by your senses and decides what to bring to your conscious attention. Also we're talking about DNA, I don't think it would work quite like that anyway.
And, DNA computing requires human intervention so it's quite slow. Everything has to be set up. Of course we'll probably find a way to get around that eventually. But by the time we do, we may have progressed far enough with quantum computing that it will leave DNA computing in the dust! I think quantum computers kick all kinds of ass!

#28604 - 06/20/02 11:53 AM Re: How stuff WILL work
SilentRage Offline
DollarDNS Owner

/me takes a moment to reread stuff on DNA and quantum computing...

( I can tell that you read the material, so I had to refresh my own memory)

DNA Computing Facts:

1) More than 10 trillion DNA molecules can fit into an area no larger than 1 cubic centimeter (0.06 cubic inches). With this small amount of DNA, a computer would be able to hold 10 terabytes of data

2) DNA computers perform calculations parallel to other calculations. It is parallel computing that allows DNA to solve complex mathematical problems in hours, rather than years to complete them.

Quantum Computing Facts

1) A 30-qubit quantum computer would equal the processing power of a conventional computer that could run at 10 teraflops (trillions of floating-point operations per second).

Well, that's all the facts I could find performance-wise. Things are still too undeveloped I guess to get a good contrast between the two computing types. You said that DNS computers required human assistance - this was true for the first method by that Aldrich or whatever his name is - but not true for logic gates and biochips. The article described this system as PC-like. So your argument there is untrue. You also said "access parallel universes". No, I think you misunderstood. They do not access parallel universes. Such talk speaks of multiple dimensions which has never been proven.

And about our brains... It is debateable as to how much potential our brains do not use, but one thing most everybody agrees on is that our brain is NOT using it's full potential. Some people use more of it's potential than others - this is why a system called IQ is developed. Some people are geniuses (which simply means they learn very very quickly and can take what they learn and deduct things most other people never think of), some people are not.

If everybody used 100% of the potential of their brain - we'd all be frickin geniuses. And IMHO psychics. I believe that a brain working under it's full potential can do something with those brain waves scientists have monitored - perhaps, read other people's thoughts in an intuitive way - not necessarily in words.

#28605 - 06/20/02 05:11 PM Re: How stuff WILL work
Paragon Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SilentRage:
DNA Computing Facts:

1) More than 10 trillion DNA molecules can fit into an area no larger than 1 cubic centimeter (0.06 cubic inches). With this small amount of DNA, a computer would be able to hold 10 terabytes of data

2) DNA computers perform calculations parallel to other calculations. It is parallel computing that allows DNA to solve complex mathematical problems in hours, rather than years to complete them.

Quantum Computing Facts

1) A 30-qubit quantum computer would equal the processing power of a conventional computer that could run at 10 teraflops (trillions of floating-point operations per second).

Well, that's all the facts I could find performance-wise. Things are still too undeveloped I guess to get a good contrast between the two computing types. You said that DNS computers required human assistance - this was true for the first method by that Aldrich or whatever his name is - but not true for logic gates and biochips. The article described this system as PC-like. So your argument there is untrue.
Well, sorta. It said that right on the site in bold letters. Let's make a compromise of sorts...Quantum DNA computers! That would kick all kinds of ass!
Quote:
You also said "access parallel universes". No, I think you misunderstood. They do not access parallel universes. Such talk speaks of multiple dimensions which has never been proven.
No, I think you misunderstood. It is not said they use other dimensions, it is said they use parallel universes. I have read about it. The parallel universes idea is the driving theory behind quantum computing. Also, a lot of physics is still technically theoretical and hasn't been completely proven yet. But if it works, go with it. (Until you run into a wall ).
Quote:
And about our brains... It is debateable as to how much potential our brains do not use, but one thing most everybody agrees on is that our brain is NOT using it's full potential. Some people use more of it's potential than others - this is why a system called IQ is developed.[quote]Hold on there. IQ is VERY contraversial. There's a huge IQ debate going on that is still unresolved. There isn't even a widely accepted definition of intelligence really. And IQ is just a number. It is a one dimensional thing that's supposed to sum up your intellect. The thing is, it doesn't say anything about any particular aspect of your intelligence. YOu can be stupid in one area, smart in another and end up having the same IQ as someone of average intelligence in every way.
[quote]Some people are geniuses (which simply means they learn very very quickly and can take what they learn and deduct things most other people never think of), some people are not.
Even that is still being debated. Genius has a few definitions going around.
Quote:
If everybody used 100% of the potential of their brain - we'd all be frickin geniuses.
Well, I would tend to agree with you, but then we'd have to redifine the term "genius" then wouldn't we?
Quote:
...And IMHO psychics. I believe that a brain working under it's full potential can do something with those brain waves scientists have monitored - perhaps, read other people's thoughts in an intuitive way - not necessarily in words.
You wouldn't have to be psychic to do that. You just have to learn to read people. There are savants who can do that. I agree we don't use all of our brains potential. That is definitely true. I just wanted to dispel the common myth that we only use an estimated 10% of our brains. Bull. Consciously maybe.

I wonder how much more we could get out of our brains with enhancements...

#28606 - 06/20/02 06:44 PM Re: How stuff WILL work
SilentRage Offline
DollarDNS Owner

bah, I grow tired of debating with you. haha. There's an element of truth in all you said (or a possibility of truth) - but I still adamently believe we are NOT using the full potential of our brains. I've NEVER heard ANYBODY say otherwise.

"Well, sorta. It said that right on the site in bold letters. Let's make a compromise of sorts...Quantum DNA computers! That would kick all kinds of ass!"

The bold letters were refering to the first attempt at DNA computing. Please keep things in context. They offered it as a problem with the first experiement which was solved in a later different theoretical implementation of DNA.

heh, but I see that you are throwing in the word "compromise" with humor mixed in. That's also a sign of growing tired of debating. Let's go find somebody else to pick on? I'm a bully damnit, and my victims usually shut up with just 1 or 2 argumentative posts - I don't like to see my victims fight back. Especially not in the analytical and thorough way that you do it. It's like I'm arguing with myself - NOT FUN!!!

#28607 - 06/20/02 09:52 PM Re: How stuff WILL work
bor Offline
UGN fag

Loc: Tampa, Florida
AH HA! BUT! Will they be able to run the new Doom game? This, is the question!

#28608 - 06/21/02 09:09 AM Re: How stuff WILL work
Paragon Offline

LOL!
Quote:
Originally posted by SilentRage:
The bold letters were refering to the first attempt at DNA computing. Please keep things in context. They offered it as a problem with the first experiement which was solved in a later different theoretical implementation of DNA.
Oh. Well, I pretty much just skimmed the article.
Quote:
Let's go find somebody else to pick on? I'm a bully damnit, and my victims usually shut up with just 1 or 2 argumentative posts - I don't like to see my victims fight back. Especially not in the analytical and thorough way that you do it. It's like I'm arguing with myself - NOT FUN!!!
LOL! [Joker]

#28609 - 06/21/02 09:38 AM Re: How stuff WILL work
Curse Offline

Enforcement Admin

Loc: San Andreas
Quote:
So I'll finally be able to crack my ex g/f's AOL account?

#28610 - 06/21/02 12:01 PM Re: How stuff WILL work
Gremelin Offline

Community Owner

Loc: Portland, OR; USA
ROFL i knew someone was going to ask that...

#28611 - 06/21/02 04:28 PM Re: How stuff WILL work
dashocker Offline

Loc: Cornfields everywhere...
hmm, u guys should read "Timeline" by Michael Crichton. Its a good book theyre making into a movie and it has to do with time travel and parallel universes. And a lot of the stuff is true because he does tons of research and credits all kinds of sources and shit in all his books.
Heh, howstuffworks is a cool site, I used it for my science project. L8r

#28612 - 06/21/02 04:54 PM Re: How stuff WILL work
Cold Sunn Offline
UGN GFX Whore

Loc: us
I have never heard anything (from someone respectable) about us using all of our brain. Even subconciously. We've all seen the studies where they have the red to purple brain thing and only parts of it have color. Yeah, howstuffworks is my favorite site. the cure for boredom or curiosity. I had never heard anything about quantum computing usin any alternate dimensions or universes or any of that, but I haven't looked into so I don't know. One thing that interests me is the way we store information in our brain. If it is just because we have so much space to store it, or if we can just store it so efficently..like a kind of memory compression or something. I don't know...

Another thing I have been thinking about, if time travel ever is possible, i don't think we could go into the past since time moves forward. And if we could go into the past, i think we wouldn't be able to affect anything. Another thing i have wondered, if something is creating light (or changing something into light, whatever) and it is accelerating in the direction the light is going...then would the light be moving faster when whatever is creating it is moving faster? And if not, and the object was moving at the speed of light (yeah i know, but if) then would there be alot of light just building up in the same place? Would it just make it brighter or could it even happen?

I don't know if any of that makes sense cause i just woke up. Anyways, SR, you can feel free to flame me man. I won't fight back more than one post.

#28613 - 06/22/02 10:41 AM Re: How stuff WILL work
Paragon Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Cold Sunn:
I have never heard anything (from someone respectable) about us using all of our brain. Even subconciously. We've all seen the studies where they have the red to purple brain thing and only parts of it have color.
I didn't mean we use all of our brain's potential. Just that we use a lot more of our brains than people seem to think we do. It's just that our subconscious uses more than our conscious mind does.
Quote:
I had never heard anything about quantum computing usin any alternate dimensions or universes or any of that, but I haven't looked into so I don't know.
Everything I have read about quantum computers (that goes into any depth) talks about parallel universes. Check here , and here . I can provide more links if you like.
Quote:
One thing that interests me is the way we store information in our brain. If it is just because we have so much space to store it, or if we can just store it so efficently..like a kind of memory compression or something. I don't know...
It's believed that we don't store information in any one part of our brain, but that we store it in patterns throughout our brains.
Quote:
Another thing I have been thinking about, if time travel ever is possible, i don't think we could go into the past since time moves forward. And if we could go into the past, i think we wouldn't be able to affect anything.
That's impossible. You couldn't go into the past and not affect anything.
Quote:
Another thing i have wondered, if something is creating light (or changing something into light, whatever) and it is accelerating in the direction the light is going...then would the light be moving faster when whatever is creating it is moving faster? And if not, and the object was moving at the speed of light (yeah i know, but if) then would there be alot of light just building up in the same place? Would it just make it brighter or could it even happen?
Now that's just basic realtivity theory. Light appears to travel at the same speed for all observers. Yourself included. So if you're speeding along in a spaceship and shining a light in the direction you're going, it appears to race away from you at the speed of light. The thing that changes for another observer is time. The light also appears to be moving at the speed of light to a stationary observer as well.
Quote:
I don't know if any of that makes sense cause i just woke up. Anyways, SR, you can feel free to flame me man. I won't fight back more than one post.
LOL! Feel free to "fight back" all you want. I won't flame you.

#28614 - 06/23/02 02:31 AM Re: How stuff WILL work
Cold Sunn Offline
UGN GFX Whore

Loc: us
Well what I meant by not being able to affect anything is that let's say you go back 5 seconds. I mean that whatever you try to do it doesn't do anything. I don't really know what I mean completely. Right now, you can't change something that happened in the past because you aren't in the past, you are here in the present. I was just thinking that since you can't change the past now that maybe you wouldn't be able to go back and change it. And if there are infinate universes, I think that they would all steam from the same beginning but each one is a single variation which changes it from then on...like the difference between this universe and the next universe might be me hitting backspace. And then if that were true then maybe if you went back in time you would actually be shifting universes if you could change something and went forwards in time. I don't know...maybe it is all just stuff i think should go in scifi books. Ever see the Langoliers? Never read the book though.

Yeah I see what you mean on the time thing with the light, but still wouldn't that mean that if the thing creating the light went faster than than the speed of light and then slowed down or something that the observer might see something happen backwards for a little while? I am not really paying much attention to what I am saying so maybe after I post if i think about it it will be more obvious or maybe this won't make any sense.

Another thing...is light considered to be (by the majority) a continuous wave kind of thing, or a broken particle kind of thing? I had always heard wave but i have heard particle a few times too. Heh..just going on. But if the light is created and moves one speed, then whatever is creating it catches up to it and is ceating light could more than one wave/particle (or whatever) of light be in the same place? I don't really know what all I am asking, just wondering.

I get what you meant about using our minds, yeah that makes sense now. I will check out the links on quantum computing, see I had never really heard much of anything about it at all so I was surprised sort of by the alternate dimensions thing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Paragon&#10:
LOL! Feel free to "fight back" all you want. I won't flame you.
Yeah..well you suck! Balls! and poo! Yeah..balls and poo.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Featured Member
Forum Stats
2148 Members
46 Forums
34532 Topics
69702 Posts

Max Online: 1567 @ 04/25/10 02:20 AM
Top Posters
UGN Security 27694
Gremelin 7193
§intå× 3255
SilentRage 1273
Ice 1146
pergesu 1136
Infinite 1041
jonconley 955
Girlie 908
unreal 860
Newest Members
Tim050, Gecko666, defghi795767, Devo60, ali
2148 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 376 Guests and 291 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest News

Donate
  Get Firefox!
Get FireFox!