Your browser does not seem to support CSS. If images appear below, please disregard them.
Page 2 of 2   < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#26134 - 08/28/02 12:20 AM Re: Where to get answers about school
BackSlash Offline
UGN's Resident Homo
BackSlash Offline
UGN's Resident Homo

TN
i don't feel like reading all of the above, so forgive me if i repeat whats already been said... i, along with the majority of you, believe that a large portion of school is a waste. geography, spanish, art, etc. however, we shouldn't overlook the important parts of school. for instance, we will use math, english, and a lil bit of science. you don't have to agree with me there, but it is true. everytime you get in an airplane you are applying Bernoulli's principle in order to stay in the air, and of course math is critical even if you end up running a cash register at mcD's. as for the rest of school, despite its pointlessness, there is a underlying point to it. this point is learning how to learn. it's a fact that we will have to deal with and do many things in life that we don't agree with, thus these classes such as spanish help to prepare us for that. they also help teach us how to learn, they make us use our minds in ways we might not if we didn't have to take the class. school in general also helps to form our social skills and abilities. if it were up to me i would still drop all of these pointless classes due to the fact that i don't believe the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, however, if you are just looking for a reason behind school...perhaps thats it

"It's better to burn out, than to fade away."
Sponsored Links
#26135 - 08/28/02 12:34 AM Re: Where to get answers about school
Cold Sunn Offline
UGN GFX Whore
Cold Sunn Offline
UGN GFX Whore

us
dashocker, yeah I think you probably said it first, i would confirm it but scrolling up would take a whole like 2 seconds.

tbg, lol yeah see you learned it outside of school, and you were interested. I agree with Impy. If you are interested in it, then learn it. You obviously are, but I am not. So we would not be taking the same classes.

In middle school, I knew I was interested in web design. Writing? no. I had no idea i wanted to be a writer, at all. But school has not affected me in any noticeable way with writing. I didn't know I wanted to do it as a career, but i definately would have taken classes on it. What I have learned in the area, was out of school. So far, school hasn't helped me at all in learning what I want to learn-web design.

The matrix? nah, i don't think this is the matrix. But I do think that since there is an infinate amount of situations where everything we believe is just a lie. And since there is only one situation that is the one we live in, it sounds like it is outnumbered. Not saying I believe it, just saying. Aren't there people that believe the holocaust didn't happen? And they aren't even the majority.

Vietnam. Weren't people protesting it then? What's the phrase, "Hindsight is always 20/20."?

Again, I agree with Impy. I think it is our own history that is most important. When you swat a kid's hand down from the cookie jar, 2 things could happen. 1) he won't do it again unless he asks first (or whatever he has to do without getting swat) because he remembers getting hurt. or, 2) He will do it again and try not to get caught. If his friends tell him he isn't allowed, he will just think his situation is different. So,in either situation it was his own past he learned from, or still didn't. This may be a bad example, but I think it is a good one.

I like to remember what I want, things like the wtc collapsing aren't important to me. I know, it was bad that it happened, but it did happen and there is no changing it. Things I wouldn't want to change, things I enjoyed, things i will use later, those things I like remembering. There are rules and things I need to remember, but the important ones are still the ones I enjoyed most.

Bah, I can't remember the exact quote, but I loved it...

Those people are dead and gone, this is our time now.
-Fight club

..talking about how the world belongs to us now, not them. About how history is already gone, and some other stuff.

Let's pretend one day, I do something that is so patriotic later on, like leading the rebels to war against the evil union, (just make up some story where later on, the rebels are right.) I still wouldn't want to be remembered. I would want people to think about how their world is then. We have so many problems in our world now, and who is looking to the past for answers? I don't know anyone who is, but if they are they aren't finding one apparently. Again, not that there aren't any answers, but if there are someone needs to find them.

I think saying "fuck it" was just the "I don't like it, and I don't care" way of saying it is irrevelent.

Could some people post some systems they think would be better than the one we have? Or say it should stay the same.

#26136 - 08/28/02 12:37 AM Re: Where to get answers about school
thebluegiant Offline
thebluegiant Offline

Quote:
What do those things like the media do? Influence you, you said it.
Yeah, and I also said that just about everything else out there can be, and is, an influence. Is the media the biggest influence? Definitely.
Is society been so thoroughly indoctrined with the idea of what 'happiness' and 'success' are to every even think that it can be something different entirely? Yes.

Quote:
My first question is just a question, I don't have a side on it. But if you'd ever heard of the holocaust or any war...if no one had ever heard of them...do you think the idea would still be there?
Of course; and to take it one step further, I think that the world would be just as apathetic about it in the beginning as they were with Hitler. Of course, now we (should) know to pay attention to these fuckers when they develop.

Quote:
The far more important memories for you should be those little times of perfection. A kiss, a song that reminds you of something coming on right as you think of that something, an explosion, a plane crash, something that will only be perfect for an instant..and never again
The key words there are 'for you.' Yes, those are unquestionably the moments to treasure, the moments that 'matter' and hopefully the person shared with will remember them just as vividly.
As far as others remembering, it's a romantic idea and one I don't put much stock in, and that's about it, seems we're agreed on that.

Quote:
What about learning from your own mistakes, instead of having the answers handed to you...this topic is about learning after all
Nothing wrong with learning from others mistakes as well, is there?

Quote:
The Matrix? That's a bit extreme....I find that good rule of thumb is to belive nothing you hear and half of what you see. Explain just how we know that these things happened? Because a bunch of people said so? Now I'm sure you can already see what's coming, if I get a huge number of people together and swear that something happened that didn't...how do you know that it's untrue?
Of course it's a hyperbole, that was the point. Sunn seemed to be taking it there when he said that we never really know anything. Of course it's true, but it's impractical to worry about on a large scale simply because most often there's not a damn thing you can do to prove/learn otherwise.

Quote:
Now that's interesting, you actually persue your interests outside of school...maybe because what you're really interested in isn't taught or it doesn't go in-depth enough for you...so what if you did pick classes dependant on interest...has your interest in history changed?
Of course what I'm interested in isn't taught in-depth in school. The majority of the school system is shit, any disagreement on that?
I pick classes dependent of interest . . . that doesn't mean that they'll be taught any better does it? There's something else wrong, but my mind's blanking on how to express it. All shall be explained eventually.

Now, my idea for the school system:
Elasticity.
The system is designed to educate 'the masses' Now, if you want to move past the masses and learn something new, harder, or more interesting most often the administration won't know what to do, will feel threatened and will do everything within your power to shut you down. At me school at least, that's how it is. By now they know that I, adn my parents, don't back down and so for the most part I get my way, but still, it's a problem.
It should be made much easier for students that wished to advance their own learning rather than having to move at the schools set pace and curriculum.

Oh yeah, and I lub j00 too.

"There is no end. There is no beginning. There is only the infinite passion of life."
--Fellini
#26137 - 08/28/02 12:41 AM Re: Where to get answers about school
thebluegiant Offline
thebluegiant Offline

Bah, you posted that while I was writing the above.
To comment on Vietnam:
The US learned several things from that war.
You probably know them, so I won't explain. But shortly: know nothing about terrain, people.
Quagmire. Others problems. Nation Building. Beuracracy.

Yes, hindsight is always 20/20. That's when we see the above mistakes and try not to get stuck in that situation again.

And Impy: When the hell we gonna play Battle Toads again?

"There is no end. There is no beginning. There is only the infinite passion of life."
--Fellini
#26138 - 08/28/02 12:52 AM Re: Where to get answers about school
Cold Sunn Offline
UGN GFX Whore
Cold Sunn Offline
UGN GFX Whore

us
Backslash, I have a few disagreements.

In you example of the airplane, it isn't us using it. In fact, most people don't know what principle, but most people know what creates lift. If they didn't, the plane would still fly. It is the pilots that need to know things relevant to flying, and of course they wanna be pilots...wait a minute...they could learn about flying at a flying school! It all makes sense! oh they do that already.

I do think we should have to excercise our minds, but I think there are better ways of doing it than school. I think that the space between (i hate that song so much) between the stupid and smart people will increase as time goes on, because of things that make tasks easier. Things like automating so much of the cash register, math will be less and less important. Then, one day, most people will never use it. Just the ones that need it for scientific study and whatnot.

I think about preparing for situations we don't want to be in, well I don't think I should be prepared for them. i don't think they should even happen. Later on in life, when i am not required by law to go to whatever place I am going to, if someone tells me, "You have to do this or you are fired" and i don't want to do it, then too bad.

I'm not married to this chickenshit job. Getting fired would be the best thing that ever happened to us. Then we would stop treading water and do something with our lives.
Again, not accurate but I don't want to get the book. (fight club)

If I just stop going to school, my parents get in trouble. That is crap to me, since it wouldn't be their fault. When I can take the blame for things I do, when they will start treating me like an adult or at least like a person, then I will have the freedom to say "I don't need this" and just quit. Like i said, My life, I should decide how I live it. that is the main reason i hate school.

#26139 - 08/28/02 12:59 AM Re: Where to get answers about school
BackSlash Offline
UGN's Resident Homo
BackSlash Offline
UGN's Resident Homo

TN
once again, i stopped reading after the first 2 sentences, but in response. i stated that there are better ways to learn and that i don't agree with school. its just that the government must feel that it has control, and school is one way to do it. and as for the flying thing, i agree that you don't need to know that to fly, i'm just sayin that the concept is used in our daily life. i believe it makes you a better person to understand your surroundings even if it isn't absolutely necessary

#26140 - 08/28/02 01:15 AM Re: Where to get answers about school
Moffesto Offline
UGN Supporter
Moffesto Offline
UGN Supporter

Kuntucky
one thing i fucking hate about school is homework, i think once we are off school grounds they cant tell us to do shit. I love getting home and laying back not doing homework but this year i have homework like every night in algebra 2.

2 people can keep a secret as long as one is dead
#26141 - 08/28/02 02:21 AM Re: Where to get answers about school
Cold Sunn Offline
UGN GFX Whore
Cold Sunn Offline
UGN GFX Whore

us
Yeah, I have to wake up in time so i will be ready to leave at 6:20 am, or else i have to ride the bus. (not trying to be all "i am so leet cause I stay up late and wake up early" just saying it sucks.) it is 1015 now and I need to do my homework, the teacher is cool about it but I really don't want to do it. I hate having to do more and more work, and they try and even it out by saying they have work too, but it is grading whe extra work they give us.

Yes, We did learn from Vietnam, good point. I wonder why we haven't learned to avoid wars, i know we have no choice sometimes but the whole thing pisses me off. Fucking lamers starting wars...

But see, imo, the only people that really learned from it are the people interested in it, are the people that would use it later. The people that would be interested enough to get into a position where their opinion matters. Me for example, I basically no nothing about vietnam and i am not interested in being an advisor on anything it would help out on in the future. So i guess it is, if you are interested in history, study it. If you are interested in math, study. Study what you want to.

/me remembers Battle Toads, that was x33t.

I think any new system would be a little hard to set up, but I think it could happen. The people that get stuck in between, well that will suck. But if I was in the middle, knowing the people after me would have a better system would keep me going. I was gonna say something else...not sure what. i will say it later then.

#26142 - 08/28/02 06:29 AM Re: Where to get answers about school
unreal Offline
Der ‹beltšter
unreal Offline
Der ‹beltšter

KCRQ
Bitch, bitch, bitch. Just graduate and go to college somewhere out of state. Enjoy.

#26143 - 08/28/02 06:36 AM Re: Where to get answers about school
Curse Offline
Enforcement Admin
Curse Offline
Enforcement Admin

San Andreas
unreal... I am scared, everyone is posting ten paragraph long posts... *shrugs*

#26144 - 08/28/02 10:08 AM Re: Where to get answers about school
Cold Sunn Offline
UGN GFX Whore
Cold Sunn Offline
UGN GFX Whore

us
lol, unreal! Damn you! Post that reason for school you said you found when it was over.

erg....8 minutes then i have to leave.

#26145 - 08/28/02 01:15 PM Re: Where to get answers about school
Moffesto Offline
UGN Supporter
Moffesto Offline
UGN Supporter

Kuntucky
curse, thats when i dont even bother reading it, lol

2 people can keep a secret as long as one is dead
#26146 - 08/28/02 10:10 PM Re: Where to get answers about school
dashocker Offline
dashocker Offline

Cornfields everywhere...
lol, this is obviosuly boiling down to a 'what does it all mean?' discussion. (well, from Sunn's point of view anyway). So im not gonna say anything else. Besides that i dont think you should live in the past, thats a big problem is society today, but i also think history is still important. Stop. Homework blows. Stop. I still have a Sega Genesis and Battle Toads, maybe its Battle Toads 2? Stop. Why aren't I invited to play? Stop. L8r. Stop.

#26147 - 08/28/02 11:39 PM Re: Where to get answers about school
Cold Sunn Offline
UGN GFX Whore
Cold Sunn Offline
UGN GFX Whore

us
lol.

Well, this is what i think so far. We should take the system we have now, and change it alot. This is public schools I have been talking about if there is any confusion, probably not though. Right now, every day i come home from school and I am tired, thinking about how instead of counting rolly pollies, I could have been at home learning asp and whatnot. Whether I will use them later in life, I don't know many situations where I couldn't learn it then.

Some examples my grandparents gave me:
English is important if I ever give a speech or something in front of important people. Proper grammar, being able to say what I mean in a convincing way, all that.

Well, that kinda thing isn't that important to me. I wouldn't want to work with people that would judge me by how many grammar rules I follow.

unrelated note: Morgan on TSS wore this sweet skirt today.../me has been missing out on tss because of dad canceling extended cable for awhile

Alot of times, I will look back on things, and be glad that they happened even though they are bad, because it makes me who i am. But some things, I wish had been different, even if I am different. But, I can't change the past so it is the future I have to take control of. Just that school, well i can't control that. Even though it is a big part of MY life, I have no control over it. I might be a little biased here, since I hate school so much, but I could live with it if it made more sense to me.

Also, m00t! My dad said he will take me down there to see about getting homeschool, so that way I could stay home and do the minimum. I might not though, depending on how it all works and everything. Also, while I am down there i am gonna try and get some answers on the idiot decisions they make here in our county.

#26148 - 08/29/02 12:34 AM Re: Where to get answers about school
thebluegiant Offline
thebluegiant Offline

1) You said you may want to be a writer? Know your grammer.

2) I noticed the skirt too. mmm.

3) Waste of energy to hate it; just get what entertainment from it you can and don't let it piss you off. /me shrugs, I enjoy myself in school, but that's because I create my own entertainment

--Fellini
#26149 - 08/29/02 02:34 AM Re: Where to get answers about school
BackSlash Offline
UGN's Resident Homo
BackSlash Offline
UGN's Resident Homo

TN
today my teacher was bitchin because they took away her study hall class. this left her with only a planning period, she was mad that she would no longer have a break class everday. what the hell does she think we do?

#26150 - 08/29/02 08:07 PM Re: Where to get answers about school
Cold Sunn Offline
UGN GFX Whore
Cold Sunn Offline
UGN GFX Whore

us
i have fun in there, but i still hate it. today we filled up a clogged water fountain and watched people get splashed when they go to get a drink.

i still would rather not go and wish i didn't have to, I am so tired every day after school and if I take a nap, then i just lose even more of my day.

#26151 - 08/29/02 09:45 PM Re: Where to get answers about school
dashocker Offline
dashocker Offline

Cornfields everywhere...
lol, I think Morgan makes any shirt look good. Now that they got rid of Jessica, I only have 1...or, ah, 2 reasons...to watch that show
Apart from the occasionaly interesting segment.

#26152 - 08/30/02 09:39 AM Re: Where to get answers about school
Cold Sunn Offline
UGN GFX Whore
Cold Sunn Offline
UGN GFX Whore

us
lol yeah. Man, Jessica Corbin was hot, she pwned Morgan and all the other TSS chiX0rz. /me wishes she was still on the show.

oh, and now they are getting rid of their set and putting in a new one!? The new one better rock, because that one ownz.

#26153 - 09/07/02 03:24 PM Re: Where to get answers about school
ohfuk Offline
UGN Supporter
ohfuk Offline
UGN Supporter

there is no way in hell im reading all the shit before this...

The point of school in the government point of view is to get everyone in the country to fit into the system so we can sell more cars then japan(note-only partually true, mostly a joke) and to get everyone more patriotic so no one will want to overrun the system we have right now. the people who dont do well in school are often the ones who disagree with the system and thus later in life they will probably have less power in the system so they wont be able to change it. i kinda doubt anyone has said this cause its mostly bullshit but if they did, i apologise

#26154 - 09/08/02 04:16 AM Re: Where to get answers about school
Cold Sunn Offline
UGN GFX Whore
Cold Sunn Offline
UGN GFX Whore

us
Quote:
Originally posted by Cold Sunn:
Man, Jessica Corbin was hot, she pwned Morgan and all the other TSS chiX0rz.
/me realizes that pwnz could be interpreted as screws..or wangs..or does...or makes hoes out of..something. whooo fun times.

Page 2 of 2   < 1 2

Member Spotlight
Gremelin

Gremelin
Portland, OR; USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Sponsored Links
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics46,497
Posts81,667
Members2,157