Your browser does not seem to support CSS. If images appear below, please disregard them.
It appears that you're running an Ad-Blocker. This site is monetized by Advertising and by User Donations; we ask that if you find this site helpful that you whitelist us in your Ad-Blocker, or make a Donation to help aid in operating costs.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#30324 - 07/15/04 01:25 AM Electrolytic cell  
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1
Marko Offline
Junior Member
Marko  Offline
Junior Member

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1
Canada
Firstly, how many amps come out of a North American electrical outlet? I vaguely recall reading 20A but I'm not sure.

To power an electrolytic cell, can I take an extension cord, split the two wires and plug it into the wall as a power source? How likely am I to electrocute myself if i don't use some type of DC converter to lower the amps. Could I also restrict the Amps by using a power cord from say a printer, or VCR instead of an extension cord? they have Amp outputs anywhere from 0.1-1A.

Sponsored Links
#30325 - 08/07/04 06:56 AM Re: Electrolytic cell  
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34
n0mel Offline
Junior Member
n0mel  Offline
Junior Member

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34
...
It's limited to 20 amps after a short time. That's what circuit breakers are for. You could get more that 20 if you had a bigger circuit breaker...and didn't mind a possible fire starting inside your walls from weak wiring.

You don't want to use AC current...you need DC. You need current flow in a single direction. You can use one of those little DC converters from an appliance like you're saying. Although, if you draw too much current from them, they can overheat and destroy themselves, or worste, cause a fire. I think the current rating is more of a, you can get 0.1 amps at the rated volts...but if you try to draw more, the voltage will drop. although, in your case, that doesn't matter that much.

If you put the electrodes at a reasonable distance, you shouldn't overheat a common DC transformer. I like to use old computer power supplies. They are made to handle the load (5v at around 30 amps, 12v around 15 amps) and have all sorts of protective measures, plus active cooling

Just be carefull. NEVER PLAY WITH LIVE POWER MAIN VOLTAGES. It's too dangerouse, a stupid way to possibly die, and there's usually never a real purpose besides ignorance.

And, don't use table salt...you can make nasty chlorine gas that way.

Are you doing this just to make oxygen and hydrogen or something? Or making some rust?


Member Spotlight
Gremelin
Gremelin
Portland, OR; USA
Posts: 7,195
Joined: February 2002
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums45
Topics46,798
Posts81,968
Average Daily Posts11
Members2,159
Most Online1,567
Apr 25th, 2010
Latest Postings
Top Posters(All Time)
UGN Security 39,962
Gremelin 7,195
§intå× 3,255
SilentRage 1,273
Ice 1,146
pergesu 1,136
Infinite 1,041
jonconley 955
Girlie 908
unreal 860
Top Liked Users (All Time)
§intå× Likes: 1
Cold Sunn Likes: 1
Crime Likes: 1
Cyrez Likes: 1
Ghost Likes: 1
Gremelin Likes: 4
Ice Likes: 1
unreal Likes: 1
Top Liked Users (30 Days)
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
(Snapshot build 20160902)